This recipe is awesome. Especially if you are like me and LOVE Asian cuisine, but know it isn’t always so healthy. I got the Nom Nom Paleo Cookbook for Christmas, and I LOVE IT! I don’t eat paleo, but I like to try and find healthier versions of dishes that I enjoy. I have made this a few times and found it to be super satisfying – I didn’t even miss the rice.
This recipe calls for a lot of multi-tasking, so I was only able to get a final picture. You will need a food processor to get the cauliflower just right. I am sure you could chop it up , but it is a lot easier to use a food processor. I also used some boiled chicken that I had in the fridge. The nice part is that you can add whatever you want – shrimp, pork, beef, or tofu. Enjoy!
Nom Nom Paleo’s Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken
- 1 small head of cauliflower, separated in florets
- Shredded Chicken Breast
- 3 slices of uncured bacon, cut into small dice
- 2 large eggs
- 1-inch knob of ginger, grated with a microplane
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons of chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped mint
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut aminos
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Splash of coconut vinegar (optional)
- Splash of Red Boat Fish Sauce (not optional)
1) Cook bacon in a large pan on medium heat. I used my large round Staub pot so I didn’t have to use multiple dishes.
2) While the bacon cooked I whisked together two eggs and added a few shakes of pepper in small bowl. I also cut the cauliflower up into same size florets, and added it to the food processor. Pulse the food processor until the cauliflower is rice like. Make not sure to pulse it too much, you don’t want it to be milky.
3) Once the bacon is cooked, remove it from pan. Add the egg to the bacon drippings. The egg will cook quickly. Remove it once it is done.
4) Add the onions and mushrooms to the bacon drippings. In the original recipe she says to add ghee to the pan, but I felt that there was plenty of fat to cook the veggies.
5) Once the veggies are almost cooked, grate some ginger on the veggies and add the chicken. Add the cauliflower, more pepper, and ghee to help keep the cauliflower moist.
6) Cover and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
7) Add all of the herbs, bacon, egg, coconut aminos, fish sauce, vinegar, scallions – to taste.