I can’t believe I am going to admit this, but I think I may have temporary burnt myself out on quinoa. So in an effort to find an alternative to my staple I turned to Food Gawker and stumbled upon this recipe. It even has some of my favorite food items: yellow rice, kale, and meat. The meal is not only fairly healthy, it was amazingly delicious. I can’t wait to make/eat it again!
- 10 oz. package yellow saffron rice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 lb. uncooked sausage, casings removed (I used chicken sausage)
- 14 oz. c diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning if you can’t find these
- ¼ c. white wine
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 10 oz. kale, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces (add more if your prefer more greens)
- Cook yellow rice according to package directions.
- While rice cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add sausage, and brown and crumble meat for another 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, wine, salt, and about half the kale. Gently stir together and cover. After a few minutes, add the remaining kale, and stir again. Cover and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted.