Last week I was looking to make something for dinner that utilized some ingredients I already had at home…Because some of my fiance’s family would be in town to visit over the long Labor Day weekend, I also needed to keep the meal light, anticipating the amount of over eating that would occur during the visit. So I turned to my trusty FoodGawker and happened upon this recipe. See below for my own (lightened) version.
- 3 ears of corn
- Handful of cheddar cheese, grated
- Black pepper
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- I cup arborio rice
- About 950mL vegetable or chicken stock
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Either grill corn on the grill or if you have a gas stove, you can grill the corn on the stove top. Remove from the the grill, and set aside to cool.2. While the corn is cooling, prepare the risotto itself. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, wok or risotto pan, and cook the onion and garlic, along with the paprika, over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the rice and cook for a further 2 minutes. Then begin to add the stock, around 100ml at a time, allowing it to be mostly absorbed by the rice before adding a little more. Ensure you stir regularly. It’s fine if the mixture bubbles very gently, but keep it at quite a low heat.
4. Remove/cut the corn from the cob and add along with the grated cheese, top with chopped cilantro. Serve warm.
P.S. I got so excited about this, I forgot to take a final picture, so I included on from the original recipe post.