I’m back from Jamaica mon!
Soupe A L’Oignon By Julia Child
- 5-6 Cups of thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 Tb Butter
- 1Tb Oil
- Heavy bottomed 4 qt covered saucepan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 3 TB flou
- 2 Quarts Beef Stock (Campbell’s Beef Stock in the Cans is the best)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook onions slowly in the butter and oil in the covered saucepan for 15 min.
- Uncover, raise heat to moderate and stir in salt and sugar. Cook for 30-40 min stirring frequently until the onions have turned a golden brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add beef stock, wine, and some pepper. Simmer partially covered for 30-40 minutes or more, skimming occasionally.
- Set aside uncovered until ready to serve. Then rehat to the simmer.