One of my favorite things about cooking is taking a recipe and making it your own. I always find lots of inspiration from cooking magazines and The Food Network. Sometimes I get too excited watching food shows and I go out and buy all the ingredients, when we already have plenty of food in the house. So for this recipe I wanted to use all ingredients that were already in our house.
Since my husband and I love shopping at Costco we happened to have a 5lb bag of broccoli hanging around, as well as 5lbs of spicy sausage. I did a few searches for broccoli, sausage, and pasta and I got a ton of recipe suggestions.
I started putting a bunch of ingredients together, going off my instinct, and it turned out AMAZING.. I love it when that happens.
Lots of delicious veggies, pasta, and spicy sausage-I’m sure another protein work well too. However I do think the spicy sausage made this dish.
Sausage and Broccoli Pasta: Serves 6-8
- 1 lb Spicy Sausage-cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Cups of Broccoli Chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- 1/2 Cup of Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Box Pasta
- 1/4 Cup of Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup of Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil 1-2 Tablespoons
- Start a pot of boiling water, make sure to add salt!
- Cook vegetables in the oil until they are cooked, but not mushy. Remove from heat.
- In the same pan cook sausage until almost all the way cooked through.
- Add vegetables back in with the sausage and add chicken broth.
- Bring to high heat and and then simmer to let juices cook off.
- Combine cooked pasta and sausage mixture into a separate bowl. Add a few pepper shakes and some Parmesan cheese. You shouldn’t need salt, but feel free to add it if you do!