My love for zucchini continues to grow, especially after making this delicious recipe on a whim Zucchini Quiche. I’ve shared with you my recipes for Zucchini Fries and Zucchini Bread, but this one is a perfect dish for a brunch or luncheon. Of course I modified it with ingredients that I had, and even my husband who said he HATE QUICHE was eating it and loving it. It is full of veggies and not super eggy, which I liked. I also used puff pastry for the crust layer and I think that made all the difference. Enjoy!
Zucchini Quiche: Adapted from Taste of Home
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, dried basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese (I used a mix of mozzarella and parmesean)
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches)
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini and onion in butter until tender; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, parsley, salt, garlic powder, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in cheese and zucchini mixture. Spread mustard over pastry shell; add egg mixture.
Or bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown (cover loosely with foil after 25 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning). Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.