Sunday my husband and I had a pork cook off. I made Texas Style Pork Barbecue, and he made kale with pork jowls. It was a win-win situation with enough pork for a family of ten. This recipe would be a great addition to some 4th of July fun, or any summer soiree. You will be sure to get invited back if you bring this recipe.
Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork (Click here for recipe)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 extra large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Pour the vegetable oil into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the pork roast into the slow cooker; pour in the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Stir in the brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cover and cook on High until the roast shreds easily with a fork, 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks.
Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir the meat into the juices.I left the pulled pork in the dish and added a few ladles into the pork to keep it warm. There was a lot of juice left over. Enjoy!
My husband wanted to make an appearance. He did a great job!