Sooo remember on Monday when I told you about my new obsession with The Webster well this recipe is what started it all. I have to say Sunday was a pretty great day. I got some awesome new threads and had my face melt off from how awesome these burritos turned out. I must warn it does take a long to for everything to cook if you are like me and tend to watch the time tick down ever-so-slowly. Also there are three parts to this recipe. However it is soooooooooooooo worth the wait.
Part 1 Pork Carnitas
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (or 2 1/2 pounds bone-in)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 orange, cut in half- I really like the flavor of citrus so I used two also zest one to use for the burrito bowl later
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Salt and pepper liberally. Mix the oregano and the cumin with olive oil and rub all over pork.
Place the pork in a slow cooker and top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Squeeze over the juice of the orange and add the two halves.
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 hours. Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork. In a large saute pan, heat the vegetable oil over high heat (I opted out of this because I was foaming at the mouth). Press the carnitas into the oil and fry until crusty on one side.
Part 2 Easy Pico de Gallo
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeds removed, and chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, finely chopped- I used Vidalia onions
- 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into small cubes-I didn’t use this because of their tendency to brown
- 1 lime, juiced- I used two
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups cooked white rice- I opted for brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Simple Fresh Pico de Gallo, recipe follows
- 2 cups Pork Carnitas, recipe follows
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
In a medium bowl, toss the rice with the cilantro and the orange zest. Divide the rice evenly among 4 individual serving bowls. Top with the black beans and half of the pico de gallo. Add warm carnitas and top with the rest of the pico de gallo. Sprinkle on the cheese, and spoon a dollop of the sour cream (ewww) on top. Finish with the chopped green onions.
I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!!!