Since the weather has been rainy and chilly here in NYC I have found myself reverting back to my fall food cravings of soup, and something green. So I decided to make this sausage, white bean and Swiss chard soup. And I must say it really hit the spot.
- 1 (1.22-pound) package lean hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard, stems removed
- 2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans great Northern beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper- I opted to also add red pepper flakes
In a large Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onions, and garlic over medium-high heat until the sausage is browned and crumbly, about 6 minutes.
Drain, if necessary. Stir in the broth, Swiss chard, and beans.
Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until Swiss chard is tender, about 20 minutes.
It is a crowd pleaser fo sho!